Then there are moments where I find inspiration. Whether it be an enthusiastic professor who clearly loves what he or she is doing and wants to share all their knowledge with you and are sincerely invested in seeing you succeed, or watching a documentary with a powerful message and delivery so strong that it evokes emotion with a single picture.
Sometimes I wake up overwhelmed by the piles of work and reading and projects that I have to complete, but luckily once I start reading and learning through the process of completing these tasks, I find myself enjoying the topic and information. I also find myself eager to learn as much as possible and be able to apply these valuable lessons to actual cases and interactions with students.
At times I get discouraged, but, as the movie last night showed me, I remind myself that there is such a need for my profession. It saddens me to think about how many children and students feel alone. And more and more I'm believing in the "power of one", how one person who shows that he or she cares about the students, wants to see them succeed, wants to hear what they want to say, and help them find their way through difficult problems, can really make a difference. To see a student realize that he or she is important and that they have endless opportunities for their life would be the ultimate gratification. It is for these reasons that I can continue to learn and stay excited about becoming a school counselor. Because I can't help but think to myself, if no one helps these children, then who will?
Having gone through years of uncertainty about what my goals in life are, and what occupation would make me happy, it finally feels great to have a clear goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment