I've been wondering for some time now what others think of as the "traditional" or "perfect" engagement ring. And also what are some interesting/romantic proposals besides the "traditional" dinner at a fancy restaurant situation. I'd love to hear your thoughts so leave me some comments!!
And what is considered too early to get engaged, yet how long is too long to wait?
Does the guy ALWAYS have to be the one to propose or is it more acceptable nowadays for the woman to ask for her significant other's hand in marriage? And what about same sex couples?
AND fyi, I'm not going to be getting engaged anytime soon but a few people I know have weddings coming up this year so I was just wondering what other couples' stories/ideas for the engagement are.
:)
I'm kinda scared of rings in general so I don't really wear them. I'm always afraid they'll get caught on my sleeves or gouge a hole in something that I'm trying to pat gently. So I guess my type of ring would be the kind where the stone doesn't poke out a whole lot, like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tension_ring
ReplyDeletealso, huge public proposals always make me cringe, because the proposee always gets booed if she says no or even "i'll think about it"
ReplyDeleteMy friend's sister got engaged last year and her fiance did it on a trip to boston. They were in front of a fountain and he said they should pose for a pic with the camera on self-timer, right before it went off he got on one knee and popped the question so there is a great picture of him with the ring and her look of surprise and joy. That was a good one because it was creative but not over the top. Also, a guy should NEVER ask unless he KNOWS that she will say yes. Same if a girl asks.
ReplyDeleteAs to length of time, I don't think there is a guideline. My parents got engaged TWO WEEKS after meeting for the first time. My grandparents on both sides waited a few years but then again the men were off at war so who knows....I think it really just is a matter of when you are comfortable and when you are really sure that this is the person that will make you happy and you can grow old with, the person who you wanna be with even when life sucks for one or the other of you. It also depends on circumstance...don't get engaged when you're not settled because it's just too hard. So, even if you wait 10 years its still good as long as it makes sense for you.
I think its totally fine for a girl to propose, but its less common, probably because both guys and girls prefer the old fashioned way. I'd like to have already agreed to get married before an actual proposal, because I am a real stickler for making sure you know the answer to that question lol.
As for rings, I really like this style, the center stone is small but its the right idea
http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3336730&kpc=1
oomg! my friend just got engaged recently and her bf took her to a lake that they used to go on their dates. and he's a graphic designer, so he made her a book! with pictures and stuff. it was the cutest thing, 24 pages 24 chapters.. goes through their relationship and ends with the ring, where he asks her to marry him. SO cute.
ReplyDeleteyeah i dont think it's necessary to do the dinner thing, but it's gotta be something meaningful to your own relationship. and i personally think the guy should propose, but i guess i'm very traditional :P
and i think there's never a too early to get engaged. but people say you should get married within 2yrs after engagement, otherwise it gets really hard? im not there yet so i can't tell you if it's true haha :)
and i agree...with katie. the guy (or whoever) shouldnt propose unless s/he knows the answer. otherwise that's really awkward... and i would assume it's something people talk about if it is that serious already. haha
and ring... i think i want a single diamond rather than the ones with 3.
princess-cut solitaire ring! though pear-cut looks prettier, i think. =) and for sure, even if you guys have hammered it out and signed a contract in blood saying you WILL marry him if he proposes, in that split second in-between when he pops the question and you give your response, mr. future fiance's going to be the most nervous guy in the world. =) and...that guy that fei mentioned above? he raised the bar way too high, i'm all out of creative ideas now *sigh* back to the drawing board. thanks so much for the bday wishes! hope you're doing well!!
ReplyDeleteI don't think there are any "rules" but then again, I don't watch TV and am out of touch with society. That being said, princess cut is hot, pear-shaped (or anything-shaped) is NOT!
ReplyDelete